To slow the spread of COVID-19, we’re being told to wash our hands more frequently – with soap and water. But, if water and soap aren’t available, your best option is to use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. However, as people are rush to buy hand sanitizers, you’ll likely have a hard time finding any at a store – unless you have a stockpile of hand sanitizer at home.
The good news, you can make your own hand sanitizer at home. Way cheaper than buying online during this high-demand period. All it takes is three ingredients to make it work. Read on to find out how:
What you’ll need to make hand sanitizer?
Making a homemade hand sanitizer is easy to do and even your kids can join you to this this small project. It only requires a few ingredients which can be bought at the nearest pharmacy.
- 2/3 cup isoprophy or ethanol (99% alcohol volume)
- 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
- 8 to 1 drops essential oil (optional)
The key to making hand sanitizer is to follow the ratio 2:1 proportion of alcohol to aloe vera. This to ensure the alcohol content around >60% which is effective in busting germ.
Steps to make it
It’s so easy to make. Simply mix the ingredients together and then use the funnel to pour them into the bottle and you’re ready to go!
1. Gather your ingredients
Place your isoprophy or ethanol, aloe vera gel and your preferred essential oils in one place and measured out.
2. Mix all ingredients
Add all ingredients in a clean bowl and mix thoroughly with a spoon.
3. Pour into a bottle
Pour your homemade hand sanitizer into a bottle using the funnel. Screw the top of your bottle tight and you can begin using it.
Please adhere to these tips:
- Make the sanitizer solution in a clean space. Make sure the working space has been wiped down with a diluted bleach solution beforehand.
- Wash your hands thoroughly using water and soap before making it.
- To mix, use a clean spoon and whisk.
- Make sure the alcohol used for the hand sanitizer is not diluted.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly until they are well blended.
- Do not touch the mixture with your hands until it is ready for use.
How to use hand sanitizer?
You need to rub it into your skin until your hands are dry. If your hands are greasy or dirty, wash them first with soap and water. Follow the tips below to use it effectively.
- Spray or apply the sanitizer to the palm of one hand.
- Thoroughly rub your hands together. Make sure you cover the entire surface of your hands and all your fingers.
- Continue rubbing for 30 to 60 seconds or until your hands are dry. It can take at least 60 seconds, and sometimes longer, for it to kill most germs.